Mottram St.Andrew is a small rural parish situated between Alderley Edge, Prestbury and Wilmslow. It is an area of special county value with agriculture as a significant component of the economy of the Village where much high quality agricultural land can be found.
There has been a settlement here since Saxon times and it is mentioned in the Domesday Book during the reign of William the Conqueror, in 1086, and there is a sign to acknowledge this in Priest Lane near to the chapel.
The village has been known by many names since that time, it being recorded as Mottram Andrew in 1414, with the saint added at a much later date.
There are many places of interest and numerous footpaths that are well signposted enabling circular walks to be experienced, some of which lead onto Alderley Edge and Hare Hill with wonderful views of Mottram St.Andrew especially from Castle Rock and Stormy Point.
The Village is home to various businesses including 3 Farms, a large country house hotel, golf club and Spa, a pub and restaurant, garden centres, a bespoke furniture and cabinet makers and a farm shop. The Village is served by a successful Academy school and a large modern Village Hall.
The Parish is made up of two wards Mottram St. Andrew and Newton and is served by seven Councillors including two from Newton. The Council was founded in 1894 and meet six times per year at the Village Hall or the Chapel and the annual parish meeting takes place each April in the Village Hall.
Mottram St. Andrew is considered a desirable place to live with a cross section of housing from country mansions built in their own grounds to modest domestic properties and from small old peoples bungalows to council homes.